Monday, April 16, 2012

Boot Camp - 1 down

40 people divided into teams of 10.  The instructors asked for volunteers to be team leaders from military and rescue personnel.  One of the only non-depressing parts of this was that I was not the last person picked.  ::phew::  It was really like kickball all over again.

Here's the workout of the day (WOD in Crossfit speak)...  We warmed up by running (or in my case run/walk/jog/cry) 800 meters.  Then we did relays of walking like a bear for a distance I couldn't tell you and sprinting back; broad jump the same distance and sprinting back and then lunge walks the distance and then sprint back.  Each of these we did two times each.  The losing teams then had to do burpees as punishment.  In between sessions.  I pretty much sucked at all of this, but the lunging was far and away the worst.  I have always sucked, sucked, sucked at lunges.  And then to have to do them while walking?  And to have to touch the knee to the ground?  I mean, they had minimal work-around -- one girl had to go back because her lunges were improper.  I almost cried at the thought of that.  Luckily, praise the Gods, they had some pity on the fat girl and for my second round my team leader Leah came and helped me through it.  SO awesome!

Then we went into the gym.  Because all of that was on the asphalt.  Photos of knee to follow, but I can't complain because we had some bleeders.  I think they're a lot more bad ass than my princess self and didn't mind the blood.  Good for them. 

So, in the gym, we were told that the box jump is the most basic Crossfit move.  And in all of the Crossfit stuff you see on the web, this is one of the most common things done.  I literally could not do this.  It was mortifying.  Finally, one of our awesome trainers took pity on me and told me to just step on it.  I wanted to jump on that box so bad I could taste it.  I could literally feel the box under my feet in my head.  But trying to tell that to my ass and gravity was just not working out...  Maybe Wednesday? 

We partner up.  Of course Tina and I partnered up.  The routine is box jump for a minute, squats for a minute, then push-ups for a minute.  You do 3 rounds of that then switch off. 

And when you see written down what we did, it doesn't seem like much.  Yet, by the faces of the people in the room, it was a lot.  I know that when I almost puked, I (to steal Tina's line) realized I had never worked out a day in my life.  Not even in the body challenge.  Or at least, my body forgot the body challenge.

I'm not going to quit.  I have 11 more sessions plus the challenge day and I am going to get through this. 

And then I may never work out again.  :)   Just kidding -- I hope!

I'll talk about my diet next time I write, because that has been quite the adventure.

I'd hug you but I can't lift my arms,
Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment