Saturday, March 12, 2011

5K DAY!

Today was the day!  Halfway through the Body Challenge and today I (along with Scott, of course) finished my first ever 5k!

What a great experience!

It was a really pretty sunny day.  Kind of a chilly, but didn't wear a coat because I kind of thought I'd be warm enough by the end.  The race started at 8, and we were told to be there by 7.  We got there right at 7 and still had to wait in line to get our numbers.  Then it was a lot of waiting and anticipation.

And then I saw KILLER KOPECKY!  That was so awesome!  What a motivating sight, she was.  Her boys go to Cox High School (where the race was held) and she was doing a "short run" for the school.  It was very emotional for me seeing her and I got a little choked up.  But, I sucked it up and we made it for the start line. 

And then Lora (that's Scott's Mom) showed up.  So nice to have a cheering section!  And someone to take pictures at the end.  (I have no idea how Ms. Bitchcakes takes all those pictures while she is doing her events.)

We did our pre-start warm up with the gym.  I was all lined up and ready to go and then when the starting buzz when off -- I had a music malfunction!  See, I had my music all ready to go, but I wanted to hear the starting buzzer so I paused it, then my hands were too cold to start it.  I was trying to jog and fix it and then slowed into my walk.  Most of the pack was in front of me -- including Scott -- but there were some folks behind me.  When I hit mile 1, I was a little concerned about my pace but then I checked the time and I was staying at 17 minutes.  Got a little vahklempt with pride for myself.  I mean, frankly, for my first 5k and my fitness level -- that was my goal, to finish at an average 17 minute mile.  Not ambitious, I know, but realistic.

I won't bore you with the details of the route, but trust me it was through some beautiful homes and everyone was so friendly along the way. 

When I finally got to to the finish line on the track at Cox High School, I wanted to sprint more than I did but when I hit the track the wind was in my face and I was not trying to recreate a song from the 80's.  And when I hit the track and saw the 3 mile sign and it was really almost over, I almost started crying.  I was really choked up and emotional but I talked myself out of crying because I wouldn't have the air to sprint to the finish.  I rounded the corner and ran as fast as my fat little beautiful legs would take me.

52:02.



Under a 17 minute mile, can you believe it?

Me, who hasn't been physically active pretty much ever in my life and now I have finished my first 5k.

And I placed!  I mean, it was 21 out of 21, but I still had my name on the list of people who finished.  (I've decided that there must have been more than 21 people in my age group to make it mean more.)

Anyways, so that was my day.  Great day, great accomplishment.  Thank you all for listening and going along for the ride with me!

Now it's off to well-earned massages!

big hugs,
Heather

2 comments:

  1. So happy for you! I want details of the route, maybe I could practice walking it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats, Heather! Great job! Nothing wrong with being #21 - YOU. DID. IT!!!!! You should be proud :) I'll mention you in my next weekly post! xoxo

    ReplyDelete