Tuesday, April 26, 2011

A Complex Love

Well.  It finally happened. 

I miss working out.

So, here's an update since my last real post 13 days ago.  Last Tuesday, my former boss asked me if I wanted to deploy for CAT assistance (more on what this means) the next day.  Since I had already volunteered to be on the "go" list, I said yes.  The day before, I had completed two work-outs and had aggravated a weird strain in what my grandma used to call your "giddy-up" -- this is the tendon area between your groin and thigh.  I decided to skip my Tuesday morning workout because I was still sore and I figured  I would just go after work.  WRONG!  After work, I was then relegated to running around packing and trying to decide what to bring for an indefinite period of time for CAT duty.

CAT duty means catastrophe duty.  When something catastrophic happens (like the tornadoes that have hit so many parts of the country), insurance companies deploy adjusters to assist in adjusting claims.  It's a very stressful time because you don't know the area, you don't know the situation and you are meeting people after they have been through some of the worst disasters that have ever happened to them.  You're on the road a lot and when you're not, you're in your hotel room working on estimates and calling customers.

Needless to say, it is not conducive to a healthy lifestyle.  Especially if your hotel does not have a gym.

Which mine does not.  Now, people who are truly dedicated to the lifestyle would have found a way.  But, I'm just not a big go outside and find a path to walk/run in an unfamiliar area.  On a side of town that I'm not convinced is the "good" side.  Off of a main 50 mph road.  So, no -- I'm not that dedicated.  I did recently decide that I could just walk/run circles around the hotel, because how is that different than doing it around a track?  But, I just figured that out today and I just didn't get very far in that process.

So, I miss working out.  A lot.  So much so that I came up with the crazy idea that the goal I really want to work towards is being able to do a triathlon.  I told Scott this and he mocked me -- because I can't even swim.  That's why it's a goal you work towards -- like a Masters degree.  It takes time to get to, but if I can work towards being able to accomplish it then imagine what good shape I'd be in.

Anyways, as much as I dreaded the gym for various reasons -- I miss the tedium of the elliptical and the dreadmill.  They gave me confidence in myself and confidence that I was working towards a healthier lifestyle.  I'm trying to be good here, but it's impossible at night when we get together because it's drinking friendly. 

The CAT is excellent experience for me and the direction that I want my career to go, but I hope I can get back home to my routine and my cardio soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment