Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Haters Gonna Hate

Tonight in our meeting, our fearless leader Sherrie talked about having a song that motivates you to stay focused during your journey. This really resonated with me. I'm sure you could guess since I've had so many prior posts about the music I listen to during my workouts. And when she said this my old mantra was the first thing to pop in my head. I downloaded at the first stoplight and immediately started feeling empowered.

My song? 32 Flavors. It's an Ani deFranco song but I prefer the version by Alana Davis because it's more up tempo. If you don't know the song, it's basic theme is "haters gonna hate.". I particularly like it because of the Phoenix reference - a symbol I identify with. (It's what my weird tattoo is supposed to be.)
Here's that line:
God help you if you are an ugly girl
Course too pretty is also your doom
'Cause everyone harbors a secret hatred for the prettiest girl in the room
God help you if you are a phoenix and you dare to rise up from ash
A thousand eyes will smolder with jealousy while you are just flying past


I mean - isn't that what you face so often on your weight loss journey? Haters gonna hate. You've been doing the work to get where you wanna be and people will sabotage you and undercut every step of the way.

And this song is the anthem of look haters - I'm not building myself up by tearing YOU down, so how about returning the favor??

Thanks Sherrie for the suggestion!

What's YOUR anthem?

No comments:

Post a Comment