Thursday, January 13, 2011

Movin'

So, I DON'T like to move it, move it. I'm known for the exact opposite. Well, I don't know that I'm known for that, per se, but you get where I'm going.

As I said, my plan to lose weight involves baby-stepping into some lifestyle changes until I can say that I've embraced them. One of those was getting more active. I'm going to the gym at work.

It's been a funky week so I only had my second work-out this week. I have to say that I left feeling disappointed in myself. I knew I could have sweated more, but chose to do another path on the cardio. But the weird thing is that it was a good feeling to know that I was disappointed in how I did in my workout. I knew that I could have done better or more or whatever. Isn't that progress of a sorts? I mean, at least I'm not feeling bad for NOT working out.

I've been doing the elliptical. Whenever I have talked to people who are my size-ish in the past about the elliptical, they always mention being intimidated or not liking it or whatever. But I like it. I feel like you get a lot of bang for your buck and it doesn't hurt my calves nearly as much as walking on the treadmill does. I mean, every time I walk on the treadmill it kills my calves. Past experience dictates that this will eventually abate, but I'm like anxious to get to that point. That was what the kick in the pants was tonight. I tried to do the speed intervals tonight but about mid-way through I started getting the burning tightness in my calves and this time it spread the front too. I never get that with the elliptical. Mostly with the elliptical I just get the praying for death to take me so it will be over please God.

Last night to get some motion in, Scott and I danced. I gave him Just Dance 2 for Christmas and this version even shows the sweat factor. They are not whistling Dixie with those sweat factors. And we started with the pedal to the medal with Jump by Kriss Kross. Let me tell you, fighting the laws of gravity with all of this junk in the trunk, that was quite a feat. But at least that's a fun way to get some moving in, even if I got no rhythm. Or moves. Or soul. But, whatever. In the end, he kept pushing me to do just one more song, so we wound up doing like 5, which is one less than what the game says is an "intense" workout. I really recommend it as a fun way to get some sweat on. I guess that's why people are so into Rumba or Zumba or whatever that's called.

Tomorrow night is my book club, so I won't be working out after work. I'm challenging myself to get in at least 20 minutes during the day on my breaks and lunches. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment