Thursday, January 10, 2013

The Challenge of Being Supported

I skipped a work out tonight.  I'm not thrilled with myself, but I am operating on 4 hours of sleep and not making the best decisions.  Frankly, it would have been a crappy workout on this little sleep.  I'm only up right now so I can stay awake long enough to go to bed at a normal time.

And to write to you...

As I mentioned, I have joined a weight loss challenge/support group on Facebook.  It's really been interesting watching all of the posts as the challenge gets started.  I've kind of been lurking on the board, to some extent, because I'm challenged with how I want to come across.  (But since a link to this blog is out there, perhaps that ship will have sailed...)  I'm used to kind of being on my own with my weight loss journey.  I mean, I have friends that I commiserate with and friends who occasionally get involved with my work out endeavors.  So I'm used to sharing, but most of my true emoting and processing and "here's what I'm proud of's" -- I'm used to sharing here.  And while people comment on my posts, it's not the same.  I don't want to come across as been there done that, because I'm not done.  I'm a work in progress.  And I'm not trying to race to the weight loss finish line, because I understand that I need to take this at my own pace if I want to keep it off.  That's the way that works for me.   Sure, I'd love to average a big weight loss weekly, but it's not realistic at what I'm currently ready and willing to commit to.  Everyone knows how much I love Weight Watchers, but I don't want to cram it down the group's throat.  I mean, it's what works for me and keeps me accountable.

One thing that I really love is that the group is trying to get active and we've already planned an outing together this weekend.  I confess that I cringe whenever someone talks about how much they hate working out or dread joining a gym or something along those lines.  There is so much I want to say about that.  I don't know to say it there, so I'm going to say it here and if they happen to read -- well, I hope I don't offend anyone as this is not my intent...  If you hate working out, you should not do it.  I'm not kidding.  You don't need to go to a gym and sweat your brains out and dead lift 50 lbs to lose weight.  You do, however, need to be active.  More active than you already are.  But that could really mean almost anything, couldn't it?   But the most important thing to realize is that it can mean something really small.  The reason I am a proponent of this is because it worked for me before.  When I lost all of my weight the first time (see The History of this Fat), I started very, very slowly.  I joined Weight Watchers and didn't really work out at first -- just followed the program.  That was going really well, so I started walking.  Not a lot.  Just at lunch and breaks at work.  Eventually I added some weight training but this was still a little bit and nothing crazy.  I did it on my breaks because I was lucky enough to have a gym at my job.  But, the point is that I didn't do a lot and over the course of a year I lost 50 pounds.  Sure, it took a year but so?  It's taken me twice as long as that this time because I'm nowhere near as committed as I was then.  And that's the key take away, for me, be committed.  Find something that works for you and do that.  There are lots of posts about really drastic, full on life changes and frankly it makes me nervous for the people posting that.  But that's because that would never work for me.
...
And that's why I'm having a hard time posting there.  I know what changes will work for me.  I know what I am comfortable with.  They perhaps feel the same.  I do not want to push my slo-mo methods on them.  I am so excited to have a support group and people to do group activities with.  I think that could be very, very cool.  But I don't necessarily want to tell you what I had for lunch or talk about how much water I had or even that I skipped a work out tonight.  I'm not thrilled with myself, but I am operating on 4 hours of sleep and not making the best decisions. 
   Oh wait...   :)

(((HUGS))))

Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment